Satellite Imagery & Remote Sensing are a key source of information to both map and monitor a conflict’s evolution and impact without the risk and cost of having people on the ground. Satellite Imagery capture ensures accurate and timely monitoring over locations that are affected by ongoing threats, where it’s difficult to acquire current information and to verify potential damage.
Our data is used as a tool for modelling, topographic mapping and terrain stability assessment. By monitoring urban growth and surface movements our clients can support projects which involve the prevention and quick detection of undesired effects from change.
Here are some of our projects and campaigns:
Battle of Mosul
The Battle of Mosul (2016-17) was a major military campaign launched by the Iraqi Government forces to retake the city of Mosul which was seized by Islamic State in June 2014.
- Deimos Imaging was able to provide cloud-free images showing oil fires in Qayyarah, dam and lake state in Mosul and aircraft near the Iraq-Turkey border.
- Integrated operations of Deimos-1 & Deimos-2 satellites provided almost daily coverage of the Mosul area during the battle.
Deimos-2, Qayyarah, October, 2016 (Battle of Mosul)
Monitoring refugee camps in South Sudan
South Sudanese Civil War has driven millions of people from their homes and the food security situation has progressively deteriorated throughout the country since the outbreak of conflict.
- Deimos-2 launched a campaign to monitor key sites for humanitarian relief. It captured the United Nations Mission in South Sudan, Protection of Civilians site in Bentiu.
- A multitemporal analysis of the captured imagery, provided reliable information to identify the destruction of 117 shelters by a fire on March 24th, 2017. In addition, accurate data analysis showed that, given that, on average, 6 persons were accommodated in each tent. The amount of people hosted in the camp was over 100,000.
- This data was later verified by experts in the field.
Deimos 2 UNMISS Base and Protection of Civilians site in Bor South Sudan.
Boost sustainability in India
With the world’s second largest population and its enormous urban growth, India is facing a great number of challenges, such as overcrowding, environmental pollution and depletion of resources.
- Deimos Imaging carried out a multi-scale, multi-temporal urban analysis of Hyderabad’s metropolitan area, to evaluate its urban structure and environment and to identify trends and patterns that would assist in developing new strategies for sustainable urban development.
- A multitemporal analysis of Deimos-1 and Landsat-5 data, enabled monitoring of the entire metropolitan area and its extension detecting where the main changes occurred.
- Deimos-2 was used to provide highly detailed information on the structural characteristics of the urban morphology.
- Deimos Imaging’s DEM provided essential information on terrain elevation, useful for topographic mapping and hydrological modeling.
Deimos 2 Stereo Product acquired over Hyderabad